FAQ on ZOOM
Why “The Homecoming” has chosen Zoom for Video Conferencing and other Security Concerns
Zoom has a Rich Feature Set
- For our nature of activities of conducting active storytelling, yoga or art or body movement exercises we need a robust application with a rich feature set.
- With Zoom, the Host can mute and unmute participants whenever necessary. This feature is a must in our sessions
- Zoom has multiple views : Speaker View, and Grid View, With Speaker View, Our activity conductor’s video feed is spotlighted/made presenter and all the other participants can view him/her. With Grid View, all participants video feed is visible to everybody else in the session/meeting. A very good feature to have.
- Spotlight Feature: At any given time Host can spotlight a specific participant. This is a very good feature to have, In our case when we want to interact with children, and make them do certain yoga asanas, or play quizzes with them etc, we want all the other participants to look at them. It simulates the physical world.
- Seamless Screen Sharing to share Story Pages, Characters, so children can effectively visualize the story.
- Seamless chat feature.
- The other platforms we tested do not have such a robust feature set!
Rich Technical Multimedia Experience
- Downtime with Zoom is minimal. All features work well and rarely the app, browsers have issues like hanging, breakdown etc.
- With high Bandwidth(in today’s digital world)Multimedia/Voice quality is clear and visible.
- Cross Platform support. Available on all major Operating systems for Mobile and Desktop.
- Zoom works on almost all well known browsers like Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox; both on laptop and mobile, However they have standalone apps for both Laptop and Mobile.
- You could install the apps based on your operating system. Our recommendation is to install the apps for seamless experience.
- Desktop/Laptop Microsoft Windows OS:
- Mobile Android OS:
- Mobile IOS:
Manual Steps to mitigate Security Concerns
- All our meetings are password protected. And more importantly we have set screen sharing to be on only by host. So no other participants screen sharing will on. Thus security breaches do not arise.
- “Waiting Room”: is an unbelievably helpful feature for hosts to control who comes and goes. Un authorized people cannot join in.
- Lock Meeting is another feature which enables hosts to lock meetings after participants have joined in.
- We have disabled “Join before Host” to keep away malicious users from joining our sessions.
- We have taken all other measures of securing our classroom which zoom recommends.
- FYI, Here is a letter by Zoom Management to its customers regarding security:
- While we have taken all these measures, it’s all very easy to understand that our sessions do not have any confidential information being shared by any participant.
- We are in no way advocating or marketing Zoom, It’s just that we as a business are taking services from another business.
- We Humbly request each and every one not to share the zoom session link with anybody else. That way you are playing your part to keep everybody safe and secure.